Yes If we start JDK 1.5 you get all the rich features of JDK 1.5 plus most
projects/customers are moving in that direction.
For the part that "we will not support JDK 1.4" answer is yes and no depending
on how you look at it.
Yes, is we can use a retrotranslator to run in a JDK 1.4 environment.
http://retrotranslator.sourceforge.net/

My vote would be to start with JDK 1.5 as Aaron suggests in this email. Writing
code in JDK1.5 is so much different than writing code in JDK 1.4 and then
running it in 1.5.

+1 to take the route of JDK 1.5 for Yoko.

thanks,
Adi