Hi,

> I'm quite interested in ZFS, like everybody else I suppose, and am about
> to install FBSD with ZFS.

welcome to ZFS!

> Anyway, back to business :)
> I have a whole bunch of different sized disks/speeds. E.g. 3 300GB disks
> @ 40mb, a 320GB disk @ 60mb/s, 3 120gb disks @ 50mb/s and so on.
>
> Raid-Z and ZFS claims to be uber scalable and all that, but would it
> 'just work' with a setup like that too?

Yes. If you dump a set of variable-size disks into a mirror or RAID-Z
configuration, you'll get the same result as if you had the smallest of
their sizes. Then, the pool will grow when exchanging smaller disks with
larger.

I used to run a ZFS pool on 1x250GB, 1x200GB, 1x85 GB and 1x80 GB the following
way:

- Set up an 80 GB slice on all 4 disks and make a 4 disk RAID-Z vdev
- Set up a 5 GB slice on the 250, 200 and 85 GB disks and make a 3 disk RAID-Z
- Set up a 115GB slice on the 200 and the 250 GB disk and make a 2 disk mirror.
- Concatenate all 3 vdevs into one pool. (You need zpool add -f for that).

Not something to be done on a professional production system, but it worked
for my home setup just fine. The remaining 50GB from the 250GB drive then
went into a scratch pool.

Kinda like playing Tetris with RAID-Z...

Later, I decided using just paired disks as mirrors are really more
flexible and easier to expand, since disk space is cheap.

Hope this helps,
   Constantin

--
Constantin Gonzalez                            Sun Microsystems GmbH, Germany
Platform Technology Group, Global Systems Engineering      http://www.sun.de/

Sitz d. Ges.: Sun Microsystems GmbH, Sonnenallee 1, 85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten
Amtsgericht Muenchen: HRB 161028
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Marcel Schneider, Wolfgang Engels, Dr. Roland Boemer