> FreeBSD plays it safe too.  It's just that UFS, and other file systems on
> FreeBSD, understand write caches and flush at appropriate times.

Do you have something to cite w.r.t. UFS here? Because as far as I know,
that is not correct. FreeBSD shipped with write caching turned off by
default for a while for this reason, but then changed it IIRC due to the
hordes of people complaining about performance.

I also have personal experience of corruption-after-powerfail that
indicate otherwise.

I also don't see any complaints about cache flushing on USB drives with
UFS, which I did with ZFS every five seconds when it wanted to flush the
cache (which fails since the SCSI->USB bridge, or probably the USB mass
storage stuff itself, doest not support it).

Also, given the design of UFS and the need for synchronous writes on
updates, I would be surprised strictly based on performance observations
if it actually did flush caches.

The ability to get decent performance *AND* reliability on cheap disks
is one of the major reasons why I love ZFS :)

--
/ Peter Schuller

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Web: http://www.scode.org