Constantin Gonzalez wrote:
> Hi,
>

>> I'm quite interested in ZFS, like everybody else I suppose, and am about
>> to install FBSD with ZFS.
>>

> welcome to ZFS!
>

>> Anyway, back to business :)
>> I have a whole bunch of different sized disks/speeds. E.g. 3 300GB disks
>> @ 40mb, a 320GB disk @ 60mb/s, 3 120gb disks @ 50mb/s and so on.
>>
>> Raid-Z and ZFS claims to be uber scalable and all that, but would it
>> 'just work' with a setup like that too?
>>

> Yes. If you dump a set of variable-size disks into a mirror or RAID-Z
> configuration, you'll get the same result as if you had the smallest of
> their sizes. Then, the pool will grow when exchanging smaller disks with
> larger.
>
> I used to run a ZFS pool on 1x250GB, 1x200GB, 1x85 GB and 1x80 GB the
> following
> way:
>
> - Set up an 80 GB slice on all 4 disks and make a 4 disk RAID-Z vdev
> - Set up a 5 GB slice on the 250, 200 and 85 GB disks and make a 3 disk RAID-Z
> - Set up a 115GB slice on the 200 and the 250 GB disk and make a 2 disk
> mirror.
> - Concatenate all 3 vdevs into one pool. (You need zpool add -f for that).
>
> Not something to be done on a professional production system, but it worked
> for my home setup just fine. The remaining 50GB from the 250GB drive then
> went into a scratch pool.
>
> Kinda like playing Tetris with RAID-Z...
>
> Later, I decided using just paired disks as mirrors are really more
> flexible and easier to expand, since disk space is cheap.

well i'm about to go read the entire admin manual now that I found it
and I hope it will explain all my further questions, but before i start
doing so,

How are paired mirrors more flexiable?

Right now, i have a 3 disk raid 5 running with the linux DM driver. One
of the most resent additions was raid5 expansion, so i could pop in a
matching disk, and expand my raid5 to 4 disks instead of 3 (which is
always interesting as your cutting on your parity loss). I think though
in raid5 you shouldn't put more then 6 - 8 disks afaik, so I wouldn't be
expanding this enlessly.

So how would this translate to ZFS? I have learned so far that, ZFS
basically is raid + LVM. e.g. the mirrored raid-z pairs go into the
pool, just like one would use LVM to bind all the raid pairs. The
difference being I suppose, that you can't use a zfs mirror/raid-z
without having a pool to use it from?

Wondering now is if I can simply add a new disk to my raid-z and have it
'just work', e.g. the raid-z would be expanded to use the new
disk(partition of matching size)

> Hope this helps,
>    Constantin

Thanks,