Hi,

> How are paired mirrors more flexiable?

well, I'm talking of a small home system. If the pool gets full, the
way to expand with RAID-Z would be to add 3+ disks (typically 4-5).

With mirror only, you just add two. So in my case it's just about
the granularity of expansion.

The reasoning is that of the three factors reliability, performance and
space, I value them in this order. Space comes last since disk space
is cheap.

If I had a bigger number of disks (12+), I'd be using them in RAID-Z2
sets (4+2 plus 4+2 etc.). Here, the speed is ok and the reliability is
ok and so I can use RAID-Z2 instead of mirroring to get some extra
space as well.

> Right now, i have a 3 disk raid 5 running with the linux DM driver. One
> of the most resent additions was raid5 expansion, so i could pop in a
> matching disk, and expand my raid5 to 4 disks instead of 3 (which is
> always interesting as your cutting on your parity loss). I think though
> in raid5 you shouldn't put more then 6 - 8 disks afaik, so I wouldn't be
> expanding this enlessly.
>
> So how would this translate to ZFS? I have learned so far that, ZFS

ZFS does not yet support rearranging the disk cofiguration. Right now,
you can expand a single disk to a mirror or an n-way mirror to an n+1 way
mirror.

RAID-Z vdevs can't be changed right now. But you can add more disks
to a pool by adding more vdevs (You have a 1+1 mirror, add another 1+1
pair and get more space, have a 3+2 RAID-Z2 and add another 5+2 RAID etc.)

> basically is raid + LVM. e.g. the mirrored raid-z pairs go into the
> pool, just like one would use LVM to bind all the raid pairs. The
> difference being I suppose, that you can't use a zfs mirror/raid-z
> without having a pool to use it from?

Here's the basic idea:

- You first construct vdevs from disks:

  One disk can be one vdev.
  A 1+1 mirror can be a vdev, too.
  A n+1 or n+2 RAID-Z (RAID-Z2) set can be a vdev too.

- Then you concatenate vdevs to create a pool. Pools can be extended by
  adding more vdevs.

- Then you create ZFS file systems that draw their block usage from the
  resources supplied by the pool. Very flexible.

> Wondering now is if I can simply add a new disk to my raid-z and have it
> 'just work', e.g. the raid-z would be expanded to use the new
> disk(partition of matching size)

If you have a RAID-Z based pool in ZFS, you can add another group of disks
that are organized in a RAID-Z manner (a vdev) to expand the storage capacity
of the pool.

Hope this clarifies things a bit. And yes, please check out the admin guide and
the other collateral available on ZFS. It's full of new concepts and one needs
some getting used to to explore all possibilities.

Cheers,
   Constantin

--
Constantin Gonzalez                            Sun Microsystems GmbH, Germany
Platform Technology Group, Global Systems Engineering      http://www.sun.de/

Sitz d. Ges.: Sun Microsystems GmbH, Sonnenallee 1, 85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten
Amtsgericht Muenchen: HRB 161028
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Marcel Schneider, Wolfgang Engels, Dr. Roland Boemer