On 6/20/07, Constantin Gonzalez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

 One disk can be one vdev.
 A 1+1 mirror can be a vdev, too.
 A n+1 or n+2 RAID-Z (RAID-Z2) set can be a vdev too.

- Then you concatenate vdevs to create a pool. Pools can be extended by
 adding more vdevs.

- Then you create ZFS file systems that draw their block usage from the
 resources supplied by the pool. Very flexible.

This actually brings up something I was wondering about last night:

If I was to plan for a 16 disk ZFS-based system, you would probably
suggest me to configure it as something like 5+1, 4+1, 4+1 all raid-z
(I don't need the double parity concept)

I would prefer something like 15+1 :) I want ZFS to be able to detect
and correct errors, but I do not need to squeeze all the performance
out of it (I'll be using it as a home storage server for my DVDs and
other audio/video stuff. So only a few clients at the most streaming
off of it)

I would be interested in hearing if there are any other configuration
options to squeeze the most space out of the drives. I have no issue
with powering down to replace a bad drive, and I expect that I'll only
have one at the most fail at a time. If I really do need room for two
to fail then I suppose I can look for a 14 drive space usable setup
and use raidz-2.

Thanks,
mike