Hi Dennis,

One thing I am wondering is what the different blogs are doing and which are
related to the "art" sections, just marketing, etc.
Right now I found:
http://ooomarketing.blogspot.com/
and
http://marketing.openoffice.org/planet/

the first one is a normal blog, while the latter one is a feed aggregator, combining various blogs into one. It grabs the feeds of other blogs and presents them on one site.

That would also be my second choice, given that we find no authors for the marketing blog -- in this case, everyone can have his/her own blog, tagging OOo-relevant articles and we aggregate them together in the planet.

I believe we found a while back that the blogger utility did not allow for
much in the realm of custom layouts.
What is the delay on switching to a standalone host? What is the hosting
situation of the OOo servers? Im sure they could spare a directory for a
wordpress install as well as a MySQL database. A decent server admin could
restrict our access to that directory, and once they install our database we
wouldnt need to mess with them.

I am currently thinking about hosting a dedicated blog. The main problem is that we need someone to administer and maintain the machine as well as the blog software, and we're usually short on people doing so. ;-) In addition, before we don't know if we find enough authors, it doesn't make much sense to migrate the blog to a new platform.

But basically, I agree: A new, fresh design and a good blogging software surely would help the blog.

Florian