Demetre,

It might help to visualize the interference problem caused by unattended
PMBO stations like this analogy:

"A Winlink client, triggering a WinlinkPMBO to transmit, is like remotely
triggering a bomb blast without any way to guarantee that the area around
the bomb is clear."

Winlink 2000 is a very useful resource, but unless confined to a small
section of each band, where there are only other Winlink 2000 stations, it
has no place on shared amateur bands, because it cannot play by the rules of
sharing, unless the PMBO is manned 24/7 with someone at the PMBO location
always listening to the band for existing activity before allowing the PMBO
to transmit. The lack of this operator presence is responsible for all the
QRM complaints directed at Pactor stations.

Shortly after the first of the year, we will announce, on this reflector,
the first Windows beta version of our NarrowBand Emergency Messaging System
software suite primarily for Emcomm use, reliably spanning disaster zones up
to 100 miles - not for sailors far at sea - Winlink is better for that, and
which achieves roughly the same average throughput as posted daily on the
Winlink site (95% Pactor-III), but in a bandwidth of only around 300 Hz.

No email robots are used, as the system design *requires* that there be an
operator at both ends to check for activity before using the frequency. The
soundcard is the modem, and no other TNC is required. I am hoping that the
members of this list will like to serve as beta testers, try the system with
each other, and send feedback to us so that we may improve the system as
much as possible. Please reserve comments until after you have used the
system.

We wish you and everyone else a happy and prosperous New Year!

73,

Skip KH6TY