Okay, so I've put my name down for the gender bias task force (Professor
Strassmann is already a member).

I also wanted to say that, I get a sense from a number of these threads that it
is not just a case of finding projects / ambassadors / systems etc. to tackle
the issue, but also a language to communicate in, a language that 'frames' the
debate. For instance, in the recent debates concerning making Michele Merkin
glamour model photo 'picture of the day' how much simpler would it have been to
say, "Oppose: I am supporter of feminist economics
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feminist_economics ) and the capability approach
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capabilities_approach ) and I feel having this
image as POTD is an attack on both and therefore it would breach NPOV."

I've been creating articles relating to feminist economics for a while now,
mostly blps, but also one for the International Association for Feminist
Economics (IAFFE). Professor Strassmann and Professor Berik are co-editors of
the peer-reviewed journal "Feminist Economics"
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feminist_Economics_%28journal%29 ). There is an
emphasis in the topic on how women are perceived, including self-perception,
how that translates to the amount of say they have in decision-making,
bargaining power, and their well-being. In the early days of feminist economic
discussions it was used to figure out what was happening to women in the
developing world. An example narrative might be - a woman in India who makes
cloth bags and her husband sells them, in an interview she says, "Without my
husband I would starve." She says this because he sells the bags, the truth is
it is an equal partnership, if she didn't make the bags in the first place then
he would starve. If both she and her husband regard him as the important one
then it has a knock-on effect to the distribution of the income / food /
resources in their household. Feminist economic theory, however, can be applied
wherever women have to negotiate, so the work of feminist economists has moved
on over the years to be applied to discussions in developed countries as well.

Crucially, from the point of view of the discussions that we have been having
in these threads, there is an accepted idea within feminist economics that the
sexualization of the media and gender stereotyping have negative connotations
for women and girls, to the point of dehumanizing women and being a cause of
violence (see recommendations 134-136 pages 38 and 39, in this report
http://www.unwomen.org/~/media/Headquarters/Attachments/Sections/Library/Publications/2012/11/Report-of-the-EGM-on-Prevention-of-Violence-against-Women-and-Girls.pdf
   by the 57th session of the Commission on the Status of Women, CSW57, which
focussed on preventing violence to women).

Just a few months ago, Rashida Manjoo, the United Nations Special Rapporteur on
Violence Against Women*, visited the UK and said that the UK has a "boys' club
sexist culture" which leads to negative perceptions about women and girls, and
that it was of the worst "in-your-face" examples that she had seen in all the
countries she had visited.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/apr/15/un-special-rapporteur-manjoo-yarls-wood-home-office

So having an interest in feminist economics (being pro-feminist economics)
effectively translates as being in favour of a number of things: education of
women including sex education (so accusations prudishness are unfounded);
development ethics; a global perspective (which Wikipedia strives to achieve);
ending violence against women and girls; and a whole host of other gender and
development issues.

With this in mind I've created a template for those interested:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:User_feminist_economics

...and, a category to go with it (a sub-category of "Wikipedians interested in
economics"):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Wikipedians_interested_in_feminist_economics

Articles that are related to feminist economics:
* Feminist economics
* Capability approach
* Gender Empowerment Measure
* Gender-related Development Index
* Gender inequality
* Intra-household bargaining
* Inequality of bargaining power
* Feminization of poverty

People might also be interested in section 3. of this article by the Nobel
Prize winner Amartya Sen
http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/1990/dec/20/more-than-100-million-women-are-missing/?page=2

Marie