On 6/26/2014 11:32 AM, Sarah wrote:

Hi Carol, we had a ruling from the ArbCom during the Chelsea Manning case <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Arbitration/Requests/Case/Manning_naming_dispute> that said
: "
Wikipedia editors and readers come from a diverse range of backgrounds, including with respect to their race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex or gender, sexual orientation, and gender identity or expression. Comments that demean fellow editors, an article subject, or any other person, on the basis of any of these characteristics are offensive and damage the editing environment for everyone. Such comments, particularly when extreme or repeated after a warning, are grounds for blocking or other sanctions.
"

That could be used to stop sexist comments.
*Thanks for reminding us of that principles statement in the "Sexology" Arbitration and that certainly can be brought up during an ANI.

I got the impression that only things mentioned under "Discretionary sanctions applicable" could automatically be applied by any willing admin. In this case it applies to "all articles dealing with transgender issues" ...any dispute regarding the proper article title, pronoun usage, or other manner of referring to any individual known to be or self-identifying as transgender..."

However, recently I *think* I saw a male editor blocked for some snotty comment to another male editor based only on the editor's complaint to an admin. However, having had trouble getting an admin to enforce a Community Sanction for a long list of harassment related diffs, I have to wonder if maybe I missed the relevant ANI that got the guy blocked. Or if the complaining editor just has more friends in high places willing to do a block for him. Still unclear...

Also, bear in mind that the Wikipedia:WikiProject Countering systemic bias/Gender bias task force <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Countering_systemic_bias/Gender_bias_task_force> can be whatever we want it to be. It doesn't have to focus only on articles. If you want to become active there, posting links or whatever else would help, that would be great. I'd be very willing to help out too.
*Well, then let those us of us who have been vocal here should meet there and see what happens!! :-)

CM