In a message dated 11/06/00 8:16:36 [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> It's interesting as 'trance' has changed in its definition over time so that
>  a diversity of artists and music from different  subcultures and
generations
>  now goes under that title. I remember someone saying that Waveform
>  Transmission Vol 1 was 'trancey' - I still don't hear that. But now when
>  people say 'techno trance' I think of someone like Timo Maas - commercial
>  trance with elements of commercial techno, very derivative. Even Seb
>  Fontaine is going down that route. It may be a personal thing, but I ain't
>  feeling it. And, as for Oliver Lieb, I put him, rightly and wrongly, in the
>  same bracket as Moby. I just don't get him at all. The most soul-less
>  'underground' DJ and producer I have ever heard.

My understanding of trance music has always been in the core of reptitive
rhythm-ic sounds which are capable of inducing that 'state of mind' which is
trancendent of normal conciousness. Alright I might be sounding a bit
spiritual here, but isn't this music also intertwined with spirituality
anyway? So using this as a basis, I always thought of trance music as mostly
techno related rhythms of the minimal repetition field - Maurizio/ Basic
Channel/ Chain Reaction and anything in vein of tribal drumming/ rhythms and
shamanistic or religious rituals. Dub music has also always had a heavy
trance element in its intent. And I hear a lot of native American Indian
trance-like percussions in 313 music especially in UR (Mad Mike's one-half
native indian), Rolando, Octave One, Dark Energy...

Most of techno is trance-based music, but not the "TRANCE" music that is
heavily genre-rised and marketed by the media (speed-garage, jungle and other
inane marketing categories). So before anyone else gets caught up in any
semantic or genre misunderstandings, lets dispose of the Trance marketed
genre and hopefully talk about the music without its media underpinnings

A_Zed
Program Co-ordinator,  Ambient Zone RTRFM 92.1
Sunday Electronic Listening  [http://rtrfm.ii.net]
Perth, W.Aust (WST) 23.00-01.00 Detroit (EST) 10.00-12.00
Frankfurt (CET)/ London(GMT)16.00-18.00