As a white person who grew up in Scotland, listening to Public Enemy,
and Paris, and reading the biography of Malcolm X, I don't exactly feel
comfortable making comment here. I think here there's clearly a lack of
sensitivity. It is likely to be unintentional, and in the case of the
unattributed source, they have at least corrected this soon after the
issue was raised publicly in the past few days.
I appreciate that race and racism have a lot to do with the Drexciya
story and UR. However, I do feel that the assertion here that it is
_all_ about race and racism, should be challenged. There is a cultural
context which is certainly important to remember. It's worth remembering
too those that were lost in such terrible conditions on their way to
America. I would argue that the music is not all about race and racism.
The music has a soul and that soul is humanist, not racist. It's not
racist towards white people from Europe. Drexciya stands against
slavery. We are all human beings. We are each responsible to our own
behaviour, and our shared futures. The music transcends race and racism.
We fight the power, and the slavers wherever they may be. Drawing a line
in the sand and saying that you don't belong here is not quite what I
think is intended by the music either. We are all belong to the sea in
some way. It's the strongest idea about it I feel.