> The problem faced by Africans of the diaspora was: what do we do when the
> master
> takes away our drums, our language, our religion, by force?  The answer, as
> far
> as I see, is that they took what they had, even if it was part of the
> masters'
> culture, and transformed it in order to re-assert themselves collectively.
>
> We can't play our drums?  Then we will take your instruments, and your songs,
> and we will transform them, add our own inflections, we will drum even more
> effectively through your music until it is not any more yours but ours again.

blues and jazz.
i had this cool classes up here when i was a music theory major. jazz and blues
history. the professor had all these old field recordings from the early '20s
son house, charle patton, loads of gospal vocal groups, and some jazz groups i
forgot the names. he also had some african tribal drumming with chanting.

but to get to my point here, there was this note i forget exacatly what its
name was but i rememebr it was a raised 3rd. this note was in the traditional
african tribal music. it was also in blues and jazz from the period as well as
today