I have to second this notion. I was born in Saginaw, MI, Moved to Detroit at
the age of 13, moved back and forth between Detroit, Ypsilanti, Ann Arbor,
Southfield, and Sterling Heights after High School. I now live in Phoenix, AZ.
When people ask me wher I'm from, I say Detroit.

Metro Detroit goes as far north as Auburn Hills, as far west as Ann Arbor, and
as far east as St. Clair Shores (or farther). Some folks view Windsor, Ont as a
suburb of Detroit as well. It's all Metro Detroit. Living in Troy and saying
you're from Detroit is perfectly acceptable as far as I'm concerned 'cause
you're in the Metro area.

It's like saying the "Belleville 3" are lying about being from tha D seeing as
how Belleville is closer to Ann Arbor than it is to Detroit.