"Thomas D. Cox, Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 11/16/2005 01:30:06
PM:

wrote:

> > Is that why Madonna claimed to have invented vogueing?
>
> youll definitely have to point me to where she claims that, ive never
seen
> or heard of that.

Whoops - I looked for it and you're probably right.  It might have been
fans of hers that claimed that.
Thought I heard that she said it but I'm probably wrong.

> except of course for the fact that bjork is listened to by maybe 1/10th
of
> the size audience that madonna is, if that. madonna getting relatively
> underground electronic music played on pop radio stations is something
> that bjork certainly isnt pulling off (not to take anything from her of
> course, i love both of them!). they are definitely different, but madonna
> does things on the most mainstream level, and the stuff she gets away
with
> on that level is far crazier than what bjork gets away with on her much
> more limited stage.

What crazy things has Madonna gotten away with?  I've never thought of her
music being that out of step with mainstream music.
I know Björk isn't being played on pop radio so it's hard to tell how many
people are actually listening to her music.  Most likely because she's too
radical for station programmers but not the audience.  I would contend that
Björk will continue to be relevant to modern music while Madonna will
barely hang on.  This, in fact, is already happening.  People know that
when Madonna pulls stunts like kissing Britney Spears and what's her face
it's a publicity stunt.  Maybe what Madonnna does is considered crazier but
it's also ostentatious and contrived.  Her manifestos are so superficial
yet she makes them out to be profound.  It's so pretentious it's a joke.
Björk, on the other hand, has a certain amount of grace and dignity to her
presentation.  I'd rather listen to her because you can tell the music is
very personal.  With Madonna it's not her - you can't even tell who she is
- she might not even know who she is hence the search for spirituality, a
British accent so fake and phoney, the attitude, and the latching on to
other far superior creative people to guide her own creations. When I hear
the William Orbit produced music I hear William Orbit.  When I hear the
Jellybean produced music I hear a Jellybean track.  I don't hear MADONNA in
any of it except for her physical voice singing.  Listening to a William
Orbit produced Madonna track makes me want to listen to more William Orbit.
In that sense, yeah, maybe Madonna does expose more people to other
producers - but she's not eager to share them with other people.  In fact I
think she tends to discard them when she feels they're no longer useful to
her.

MEK