----- Original Message -----
From: "robin pinning" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "DJ Entropy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <313@hyperreal.org>
Sent: Tuesday, November 12, 2002 3:01 PM
Subject: Re: (313) Hip Hop and Techno (was 8-Mile)

> aha, we differ in what we call "Rave"....uk vs. us culture.
>
> fair enough...

Yeah. Pump Up the Volume 3 covers this all pretty well I think. Time to fire
it back up? :)

Re: Cyclone and Stewart's comments about hip hop as an entry point, I think
it's safe to say that techno has a number of different 'gateway' styles,
from hip hop to industrial to trance or whatever you may be exposed to that
gets you into the beat, since most people don't hear techno right outta pop
music. While I can see that many techno converts have come from a hip hop
background, I'd be inclined to side with Cyclone that especially today, it's
not terribly in-favor in the hip hop world. Even in the past this is true.
The hip hop scene is just so much bigger than the electronic music scene (at
least in the states, which is kind of what this discussion was about) that
if a few people 'convert' to techno it doesn't mean much about the mass
attitude towards techno in the hip hop scene. Also, I think you'll find more
people who are into techno that like hip hop than vice versa. You could
probably even say that more white hip hop fans come to techno than other
ethnicities. Whatever, my point was that hip hop culture *can* be pretty
exclusive, and it's just as inane there as here...

Tristan
=====
Text/Mixes: http://phonopsia.tripod.com
Music: http://www.mp313.com
Contact: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

New Mix in mp3, 'Live in Iowa City' available for
a short time from http://phonopsia.isoprax.com