Don't DJ here any more, but I nearly always used the outside to drag or push
on 1210's, and never had motor problems with them at all. More often than
not, you'd have to take the 1210's apart to get back the bezel for the
on/off. The only other viable way of speeding/slowing without going against
the motor is by over/under->repitching. If you try and play with the vinyl,
you either end up not having an effect, or you over step the mark (that
doesn't include press-pushing it, as that's working against the motor also).

I'd say that using the spindle is probably more risky than using the
outside, unless you really want to throw some speed into getting it matched.
Again, if you get it wrong, you can knock back the mix by more than you
really need, or you find that the motor overrides your attempts, and you get
further out. Only time I really used the spindle was for phasing tracks by
thumbing the spindle (never grab it, as you may find that a heavily-used
deck may have more give in the motor).

The only thing I found with Technics was the accuracy between +/- 2 and the
point at which the pitch light goes on/off. Usually over a 120bpm track
you'd lose/gain quarter to half a bpm. Not sure if that's relevant anymore
with newer versions (if there are any).

Dscaper
Aeonflux Radio - http://www.aeonflux.co.uk
"A man who know's what he knows, and knows what he doesn't know, is the sign
of a man who knows."