I just think it's lazy to say "he's good a marketing" because to be honest it's not that hard to market records and do good artwork - you could ring and email all the press in about 2hrs!!! UR are just as good for example, as are Bpitch - the list is pretty endless.
- Pretty easy to say when you work in the design & marketing business! It's easy to do all this stuff if you are naturally pre-disposed to it and already have the necessary skills - however for some people it can be very difficult indeed. Forging contacts with press requires a particular mindset and, how shall we say, 'verbal skills', which many great artists lack.

It's also very naive to suggest people buy the "marketing idea" when selecting what to purchase, people aren't stupid.

- Are these the same people who seem about to elect a clown for Mayor of London? Facetiousness aside, I think it's crazy to suggest that people aren't led by good marketing! Music buyers like every other member of the shopping public will generally take what's spoonfed to them - more discerning buyers like those on this list are pretty rare in comparison to the legion sheep out there who will go for whatever the latest trend is. Do you really think the 10,000 people all nodding away druggily to Richie's sets at Sonar or wherever were there because they REALLY loved his music? It would be nice to think that the scene was some kind of meritocracy where the cream naturally rises to the top, but I think all the evidence suggests otherwise.

--
*matt chester
11th hour recordings*

www.myspace.com/mattchester1