I don't think you're wrong at all. If you have the budget to keep them that
short I think you should. I'm buying another pair of them just so I can half
the distance of my link. I have one at 3 miles also in Utah I the exact same
area as Sterling and I have rain fade every time we get a decent downpour.
Thankfully our downpours here are very brief.

Thank you,
Brett A Mansfield