Unless you have a larger site like me that has to deal with 2 systems that are overlaid on the tower and need to have a switch that allows for
changes to broadcast control.
Most of our sites we do exactly what you are doing by going straight to a routed port but sometimes cant have cake and eat it too :)

On 1/4/2016 7:09 AM, Mike Hammett wrote:
*nods* Multiport devices don't do me any good as I drop every radio down to a router port. Ubiquiti's new box is like wanting to get laid, so you go to a strip club. It doesn't really make the situation any better and I'm not sure it was worth the effort either.

http://www.ics-il.com

<https://www.facebook.com/ICSIL><https://plus.google.com/+IntelligentComputingSolutionsDeKalb><https://www.linkedin.com/company/intelligent-computing-solutions><https://twitter.com/ICSIL>

Midwest Internet Exchange
http://www.midwest-ix.com

<https://www.facebook.com/mdwestix><https://www.linkedin.com/company/midwest-internet-exchange><https://twitter.com/mdwestix>
*From: *"George Skorup" <geo...@cbcast.com>
*To: *af@afmug.com
*Sent: *Monday, January 4, 2016 3:03:24 AM
*Subject: *Re: [AFMUG] OT - bad dream

This is more along the lines of noisy FM sites or extended cable length. Plus a 300+ foot cat5e/6, even shielded, is a surge magnet.

I do not like the idea of a multi-port device, especially on the tower. If it fails, then multiple radios go down.

What I would do is order predetermined lengths of hybrid power+fiber cables for each radio. It's not about saving money on the cable runs. I want the power and ethernet loop for every radio to terminate in the shelter.