At a recent show I spent some time asking people about doing this very
product...

That is,  a DC powered fiber to poe injector.   Small box at the top, run
power and fiber to it,  and a short jumper to the radio.  I had gotten as
far as finding the appropriate silicon to do this.

I also asked on this list.

The response I got was underwhelming.  Either they had no interest in this
at all or  they didn't see any reason why they wouldn't just put a small
netonix in a box at the top and then only run a single fiber.  After asking
a lot of potential costumers and I don't think getting a single positive
feedback I abandoned the idea,  although I still think it's an excellent
idea.

On Jan 2, 2016 9:33 PM, "George Skorup" <geo...@cbcast.com> wrote:

> No, I mean a single-port media converter and a PoE injector in a box that
goes on the tower next to the radio. A 2-3 foot cat5 out to the radio's
POE+data port.

> Fiber + power coming from the shelter. A DC input block. An SFP or even a
fixed optical interface would be fine. 24-48VDC powers this box and also
sends POE out of the RJ45 port w/ jumpers to select pair polarity like a
GIGE-APC-POE. Kinda parasitic power like Forrest's SyncPipe Parasitic's.

> I'm thinking it would also be pretty cool not only for stuff like the
AF24, but think about 450 or 450i APs too. If it could also pass
sync-over-power, you'd have a very usable product. I know at one point
Forrest was talking about doing a SyncInjector module that only put out
power+sync, no ethernet. The idea was to feed it into your GIGE-APC-POE
cards.

> Most of the -48 licensed stuff already has DC + fiber input, so this
wouldn't be for that. I guess it would work for radios like the Exalt
ExtendAir G2 which is copper PoE only, and either secondary copper GigE or
special order T1/E1, but the main port is 802.3at POE.

> On 1/2/2016 10:11 PM, Chuck McCown wrote:
>>
>> No, that is a different project.
>>
>> So you want to inject POE into an ethernet circuit?  Both of my POE
surge suppressors will do that.

power+fiber cable up the tower and I want to power up a 20-56VDC radio. The
most common thing I'm thinking of here is an AF24, because UBNT decided not
to put an SFP and a DC input block on the damn things. For one or two
radios, at different heights I might add, throwing something like a Netonix
switch up there doesn't make sense. Plus they're PTPs that I want to go
straight into physical router interfaces. The media converter should also
pass through the link status in both directions. I have some cheap-o
Startech media converters that don't do that, even though there's a dip
switch for it, but it doesn't work, and it pisses me off.

>> On 1/2/2016 9:45 PM, Chuck McCown wrote:
>>>
>>> It is my APC-POE surge suppressor combined with a 48 to 12 VDC buck
converter.  Right now it is a kludge.  If it powers up the 844E OK under
max load while being powered from a netonix switch I will combine the two
circuits onto a board and look for an appropriate case for it.

that it's still best to get a really nice $100-$300+ single Wireless AC
router and place it in the center of the house.

head/basement, and wireless AC in bridge mode in one or two places in the
house.

from us, we charge $5/mo for a RB951G-2HnD which has been very trouble free
for us once we tweak a couple WiFi parameters.  I think they look at the
pile of discarded routers in their closet and decide to let someone else
deal with it.  Most still fall into either the "I can buy one at Walmart
for $50" camp or the "I like going to Best Buy and letting the sales guy
talk me into the
people still look at the humble little white Mikrotik in its plain brown
box and think it can't possibly match their big black AC1900 router that
looks like a weapon from Star Wars.

supply the WiFi router and manage it for no additional revenue, and then
what to do about the people who still want to put their own Star Wars
router behind it.

now designing their own Linksys branded routers that are far worse than the
Linksys designed E series which certainly had their own problems.  I
replaced a customer's Belksys AC1900 router with a Mikrotik this week and
they went from having total dead spots in parts of their house on both 2.4
and 5 GHz to having full bars and great performance everywhere including
the basement.  Their minds were boggled at this little white box with no
external antennas blowing away the big black monster.

their low end WNR2000 has a really high failure rate.  I see people
starting to trend toward less known brands like Asus and TP-Link.  But too
many of my customers think the electronics store is "Walmart" and they seem
to come back with these Belkin pieces of crap, I particularly hate the
model that only has 1 LED on the whole router and you have to interpret the
color and number of flashes, it's like figuring out what R2D2 is saying.
What's that R2?  No link on port 3?

seem to be slowly converging on a common denominator which is that none of
them work properly and only last a few months. I had to replace my router
recently, and just got a Mikrotik instead. One of the guys I work with just
replaced his old Linksys with a Mikrotik, and all of his minor problems
went away.

end users, but I'm slowly changing my mind after realizing how many issues
are caused by them. There's also a lot you could do to provide better
service to an end user, hypothetically.. let's say you put in a DD-WRT or
Mikrotik router and setup some shaping on the client side with SFQ.
when their Xbox was downloading a game, or their VoIP cutting out when
they're watching Daredevil in 4K.

Belkin
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!