No, I mean a single-port media converter and a PoE injector in a box that goes on the tower next to the radio. A 2-3 foot cat5 out to the radio's POE+data port.

Fiber + power coming from the shelter. A DC input block. An SFP or even a fixed optical interface would be fine. 24-48VDC powers this box and also sends POE out of the RJ45 port w/ jumpers to select pair polarity like a GIGE-APC-POE. Kinda parasitic power like Forrest's SyncPipe Parasitic's.

I'm thinking it would also be pretty cool not only for stuff like the AF24, but think about 450 or 450i APs too. If it could also pass sync-over-power, you'd have a very usable product. I know at one point Forrest was talking about doing a SyncInjector module that only put out power+sync, no ethernet. The idea was to feed it into your GIGE-APC-POE cards.

Most of the -48 licensed stuff already has DC + fiber input, so this wouldn't be for that. I guess it would work for radios like the Exalt ExtendAir G2 which is copper PoE only, and either secondary copper GigE or special order T1/E1, but the main port is 802.3at POE.

On 1/2/2016 10:11 PM, Chuck McCown wrote:
No, that is a different project.
So you want to inject POE into an ethernet circuit? Both of my POE surge suppressors will do that.
*From:* George Skorup <mailto:geo...@cbcast.com>
*Sent:* Saturday, January 02, 2016 9:07 PM
*To:* af@afmug.com <mailto:af@afmug.com>
*Subject:* Re: [AFMUG] OT - bad dream
Is that the media converter thing you were talking about?

Can you make something like that in reverse? Say I have a hybrid power+fiber cable up the tower and I want to power up a 20-56VDC radio. The most common thing I'm thinking of here is an AF24, because UBNT decided not to put an SFP and a DC input block on the damn things. For one or two radios, at different heights I might add, throwing something like a Netonix switch up there doesn't make sense. Plus they're PTPs that I want to go straight into physical router interfaces. The media converter should also pass through the link status in both directions. I have some cheap-o Startech media converters that don't do that, even though there's a dip switch for it, but it doesn't work, and it pisses me off.