  From: Lewis Bergman
  To: af@afmug.com
  Sent: Monday, April 24, 2017 5:36 PM
  Subject: Re: [AFMUG] installer hire / training process.

  OK. First I have to admit I did not read the enormous number of posts the
original email elicited. Having said that and at the risk of saying exactly
what someone else has already illustrated, I will boil it down to options and
reasons.

  1. Fire him. After two months he probably isn't going to get a whole lot
faster. First, nobody is going to be as fast as you. Maybe a 2/3 as fast if you
are lucky. Of course you have to try and find someone better. But, if you think
you can do better...  A good friend once told me nobody ever fired somebody and
said "Man...I wish I would have done that six months later" It is always, "I
should have fired that guy a year ago". Not sure this situation fits that but
think about a year from now and things are exactly as they are now. What do you
do?
  2. Keep him. Understand he is slow that drives me and you crazy but customers
like him and from what you said he does a good job. Those two things are not
easy to find. Maybe find a pay scheme that can work that to encourage a faster
performance or at least not cost you as much if he is slow. Pay him piece meal
work for every install completed. That way if he only does one a day it still
costs you what you think an install is worth. There is a decent value in an
installer you don't have to follow around all the time.