If your gut says you should let him go, don't wait.  Do it now. I kept an
employee a couple of years longer than I should have because I didn't eat
to take over his job.  When I finally got tired of his crap I found out
that others were capable and willing to take over.
Everybody won. Even the fired guy moved on to a local government job where
they would buy his bs and he didn't have to preform to get paid well.