On Dec 9, 2007, at 3:05 PM, Ed Porter wrote:

John,

What I found most interesting in the article, from an AGI standpoint, is the evidence our brain is wired for explanation and to assign a theory of mind to certain types of events. A natural bias toward explanation would be important for an AGI’s credit assignment and ability to predict. Having a theory of minds would be important for any AGIs that have to deal with humans and other AGIs, and, in many situations, it actually makes sense to assume certain types of events are likely to have resulted from another agent with some sort of mental capacities and goals.

Why to you find Dawkin’s so offensive?

I have heard both Dawkins and Sam Harris preach atheism on Book TV. I have found both their presentations interesting and relatively well reasoned. But I find them a little too certain and a little too close-minded, given the lack of evidence we humans have about the big questions they are discussing. Atheism requires a leap of faith, and it requires such a leap from people who, in general, ridicule them.

A leap of faith is precisely what it DOES NOT require. It does require a leap of faith to proclaim that there is a God. That is part of their point.

I personally consider knowing whether or not there is a god and, if so, what he, she, or it is like way above my mental pay grade, or that of any AGI likely to be made within the next several centuries.

You don't know if there is an invisible pink unicorn in the room but I doubt you would claim it is above your mental pay grade to deny such without very strong evidence. So why the reticence over something much more fantastic that the invisible unicorn? This seems a very fine question.

But I do make some leaps of faith. As has often been said, any AI designed to deal with any reasonably complex aspect of the real world is likely to have to deal with uncertainty and will need to have a set of beliefs about uncertain things.

It will need a probability matrix about such things but this is not any sort of leap of faith.

My leaps of faith include my belief in most of the common-sense model of external reality my mind has created (although I know it is flawed in certain respects). I find other humans speak as if they share many of the same common sense notions about external reality as I do. Thus, I make the leap of faith that the minds of other humans are in many ways like my own.

What? It is certain the minds of other humans are much like your own since you are of the same species. Where is there any necessary leap of faith there?

Another of my basic leaps of faith is that I believe largely in the assembled teachings of modern science, although I am aware that many of them are probably subject to modification and clarification by new knowledge,

That knowledge is contextual and growing as we gain new abilities and facts in no way necessitates any "leap of faith" that its results to date are valid. To see it otherwise seems to require a very strange epistemology perhaps warped by notions of religious revelation of "absolute Truth".

just as Newtonian Physics was by the theories of relativity. I believe that our known universe is something of such amazing size and power that it matches in terms of both scale any traditional notions of god.

I see no direct evidence for any spirit beyond mankind (and perhaps other possible alien intelligences) that we can pray to and that can intervene in the computation of reality in response to such prayers. But I see no direct evidence to the contrary -- just a lack of evidence.

No evidence means that you have no rational basis for entertaining such a possibility whatsoever. So what are you doing exactly? Why would such a powerful Being care to rearrange parts of the universe due to your pleadings anyway?

I do pray on occasion. Though I do not know if there is a God external to human consciousness that can understand or that even cares about human interests, I definitely do believe most of us, myself included, underestimate the power of the human spirit that resides in each of us.

How does underestimate the human spirit lead you to pray to you know not what that you doubt exists and/or is interested and that you have utterly no evidence for? Are you hedging in some odd way or what?

And I think as a species we are amazingly suboptimal at harnessing the collective power of our combined human spirits.

So?  How does this connect?

- s