Samantha Atkins wrote:

On Dec 9, 2007, at 3:05 PM, Ed Porter wrote:

John,

Atheism requires a leap of faith, and it requires such a leap from people who, in general, ridicule them.

A leap of faith is precisely what it DOES NOT require. It does require a leap of faith to proclaim that there is a God. That is part of their point.
Umnnh... no. Agnosticism does not require a leap of faith. Both theism and atheism do.

I personally consider knowing whether or not there is a god and, if so, what he, she, or it is like way above my mental pay grade, or that of any AGI likely to be made within the next several centuries.
Actually, this depends on precisely what your definition of god is. There have been several different definitions used through history and in different cultures. If you are going to believe or disbelieve, then it is incumbent upon *you* to know what it is you are affirming or denying. (I don't insist that you share the definition, merely that you be aware that a) you do have a definition, and b) others may well have different ones.)

No evidence means that you have no rational basis for entertaining such a possibility whatsoever. So what are you doing exactly? Why would such a powerful Being care to rearrange parts of the universe due to your pleadings anyway?
No evidence also means lack of grounds for disbelief.
- s
Until I had a personal experience of something that matched some of the traditional parameters for "an encounter with god", I was an agnostic, leaning towards atheism. Now... well, the phenomena described exist, but they appear to be psychological reactions to particular circumstances. They produce certain emotional reactions, which match the traditional descriptions (ecstacy, a certainty of rightness, etc.). OTOH, they don't appear to produce testable physical effects that can be stated with certainty to not be due to either belief or other psychological manipulations. And there have been other times. Once after examining a person who claimed to be a spoon-bender (telekinetic) I found a case hardened rat-tail file that was bent. The person who claimed to be doing the bending didn't know anything about this, and case hardened metal is supposed to break rather than bend. Well, it *was* only the tail of the file, and I didn't try to straighten it (I'm not that stupid, it was a good file, and I was broke). But ever since then I've 1) been convinced that psychic powers *might* exist, but are, at least until some future breakthrough, useless, and 2) I don't have certainty that I understand the world. N.B.: I was the one that noticed the file. The spoon-bender soon gave up on her claims (within a week or two...I couldn't be more specific). I accidentally hit the spoon-bender with a door while she was trying to show her prowess (on an easily bent spoon) to someone else.

OTOH, I don't know that the file had a straight handle to start with. But I've never seen one for sale that way. It was my file, and I don't remember it being bent earlier. Perhaps the tail of a case hardened file isn't itself case hardened and someone else bent it earlier? (But it was the same color as the rest of the file.)
I frequently find agnosticism the most reasonable choice.