I think here you can see that automated mapping between different faces is
possible and the computer can smoothly morph between them. I think, the
performance is much better than the imagination of humans can be.

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=nice6NYb_WA

-Matthias

Mike Tintner wrote

Matthias:

>I do not agree that body mapping is necessary for general intelligence. But
> this would be one of the easiest problems today.
> In the area of mapping the body onto another (artificial) body, computers
> are already very smart:
>
> See the video on this page:
> http://www.image-metrics.com/

Matthias,

See my reply to David. This is typical of the "free-form transformations"
that computers can achieve - and, I grant you,  is v. impressive. (I really
think there should be a general book celebrating some of the recent
achievements of geometry in animation - is there?).

But it is NOT mapping one body onto another. It is working only with one
body, and transforming it in highly sophisticated operations.

Computer software can't map two totally different bodies onto each other -
can't perceive the likeness between the map of Italy and a boot. And it
can't usually perceive the same body or face in different physical or facial

forms - can't tell that two faces with v. different facial/emotional
expressions belong to the same person, eg Madonna, can it?