Hmm, I also had some lockups with the nvidia drivers.

Download newest nvidia driver + GLX module.
Check for the correct driver and GLX version (must match you kernel).
I solved my problem by seeting the AGP mode to
Option "NvAgp" "0".
This works for my TNT2 M64 card, don't know if there are similar setting for yours.

Romulus Pfeiffer wrote:

I already wrote to Lance that I also have got a
GeForce2-MX400 and that there must be the coherence. But I
am not using a screensaver.
I also get lockups with several 0.9rc x, 0.9.1 and 0.9.2
Today I have set with xset
# xset s 0 0 dpms 0 0 0 and I played music over 3 hours with 0.9.2 without lockups
but I could not believe that this is a solution. Maybe there
is world wide another person with the same problem.