I have the same problem here. My system freezes every once in a while. I'm
using ALSA 0.9.5 and my card is a TB Santa Cruz (CS-4630). I've tried ALSA
versions 0.9.2-0.9.5 with no luck. I built the driver with no OSS support to
see if that was the problem. Then I used the ALSA plugin in XMMS but the
system froze, too, so (at least for me) I think it's not a problem with
snd-pcm-oss.

I have a geForce FX 5200 card, and I'm using nVidia drivers 43.69, I tried
'Option "NvAGP" "0"' in my XF86Config file but no luck. I read that the
problem also appears in command-line, and although I haven't checked it I
suppose it's not a problem with X. I'll try to reproduce the problem in
command-line just to be sure. I use no screensavers, BTW. Has anyone with
non-nvidia cards experienced this problem, anyway?

I noticed that my card was sharing IRQ 5 with my onboard USB controller.
Everything else has its own IRQ, videocard included. My board is an ABIT
KT7-Raid. In Windows the USB controller and the soundcard also share the same
IRQ and there are no problems, but I disabled the USB support in BIOS and
checked that the soundcard had an unique IRQ. I played some music and the
system froze again.

I also tried "xset s 0 0 dpms 0 0 0" (disabling power management?) but doesn't
help.

I'm quite desperate. I replaced a Terratec DMX XFire 1024 with my current
Santa Cruz just to get rid of the problem. My Windows system froze once
playing music with that card. With that and the Linux problem I thought the
card was damaged or something, so I bought the Santa Cruz. When I saw the
problem again I troughfully tested my Windows system and I couldn't find any
problem this time. That made me think of a driver issue, so I built the OSS
module for my card et voilá! No more freezes. The free version of this
drivers have limitations, and I don't want to pay 35$ just to be able to play
4 streams at a time. I bought a hardware-mixing capable card for that matter,
but I couldn't know at that time how much problems it would make.

Is there any hope for this to be solved? Has anyone found a solution? Last
response to this thread dates from April 3rd, so I hope someone out there can
help.

Thanks in advance.