I have a TerraTec DMX XFire1024 too and no problems (except the sound
distortions with PCM volume >75%, but that's not related to this).
I use the 0.9.2 ALSA drivers, XFree86 4.2.1 and a self-compiled Kernel 2.4.20.

To upgrade to the latest nvidia drivers, just download this file:
http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-4349/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4349.run

Shutdown X, login as root on console and do:
sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4349.run

The installer did anything automatically on my machine without problems :-)
(I had nvidia drivers previously set up, so there was no need changing the X
configuration anymore after installing the new drivers)

 ~sth