><<<<He'd be saying that that government gave women
>freedom, educated the children, was trying to bring Afghanistan out
>of the
>7th century.>>>>
>

>  Dear Heather,
>
>  the Afghan Islamist reenactment of the 7th century is something
>to oppose, but, imposing western values, for the sake of bringing a
>country out of the  7th century, is not *necessarily* a good thing.
>
>David O Q

If we start Afghani history on  December 24, 1979, we see a Soviet
invasion  imposing an alien system upon Afghanistan. If we start a
bit earlier, say July 3, 1979, we see President Carter set up what Mr
Brzezinski called the "Afghan trap" for the Soviets to fall into. It
involved financing the fine fellows who were killing  school teachers
and throwing acid in the face of young women, professionals or
students, who dared to go about in western dress.

Regrettably, while they started supporting the nicer guys, the
Soviets followed normal aggressive instincts and ended up behaving
like a colonial power.