From: AOLserver Discussion [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Dossy Shiobara
Sent: Monday, October 01, 2007 12:36 PM
To: AOLSERVER@LISTSERV.AOL.COM
Subject: Re: [AOLSERVER] ns_conn channel, ns_conn contentsentlength

On 2007.10.01, Jeff Rogers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I also think the code belongs on a module rather than in the core.

My vote is to leave [ns_conn channel] in the core officially, and mark
[ns_conn contentsentlength] as deprecated to warn folks from coupling
their code too tightly to it, as it may be removed in a future version.

While I think I agree with you (if I understand you correctly), that
introducing [ns_conn channel] as a solution the problem it's currently
being used to solve is not the best end solution, I do think having the
capability was something lacking in the ns_conn Tcl command for a long
time.  The ability to interact with the socket connection as a plain Tcl
channel is something that's very useful (think: "Comet" style HTTP
server push implementations, etc.).  However, I do agree that solving
the problem of freeing up connection threads while large HTTP responses
are being returned to the client should be handled deeper within the
server itself, not through developer-supplied application code.

-- Dossy

--
Dossy Shiobara              | [EMAIL PROTECTED] | http://dossy.org/

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> with the
body of "SIGNOFF AOLSERVER" in the email message. You can leave the
Subject: field of your email blank.