Which notification are you trying to add the Change Type field to?  I have
added it to the Approval notifications and all I had to do was add the
following set field to the filter , NTE:SHR:TranslateNotificationMessageAPR_135.

Set zID Translation Text to REPLACE($zID Translation Text$, "#Change Type#",
$Change Type$)