I, for one, am completely against an official language.
Language and culture are forever linked. I don't see anybody trying to make
English the
official language of the Chinatowns and Little Italy's of America. I'd hate to
live in a country
without any ethnic culture. I happen to like the sound of other languages.
Actually, I think we'd all be better off if we required all kids to learn
spanish.
What's the downside of that? We'd have smarter kids, we'd preserve culture and
we'd catch
up to the European countries where virtually everybody speaks 2 to 3 languages
( English
is spoken virtually everywhere in Europe.)
Speaking of English being spoken in Europe, once upon a time I was in East
Germany and
we were lost. One of our roadies got out of our bus and went up to an 80 year
old lady,
and got in her face and said "Yo, you speak American" and when she didn't
respond, this
jerk of a guy yelled at her for not understanding.
I saw that same thing repeated quite a few times in my travels, and I find it
disgusting.
There is a subtle arrogance that comes with being an American sometimes that
somehow
causes people to think that the world should conform to their way of thinking,
and if they
don't somehow they are "idiots" etc.