In a message dated 11/21/2007 11:31:46 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

--- In  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mailto:AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com) ,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Research has shown that when Black middle  class parents pull their
children out of the school system, it is doomed to  failure.? Look at
the Birmingham school system.? That is exactly what is  going on
there.? Black middle class parents need to be reassured that  their
children will receive the best possible education at the  existing
schools.?

Good note. You can't blame it on the  lack of white students.

But today, we all want the best for our kids  and we expect the school
to provide the base 8 hours/day or longer. So we  blame the school and
the teachers.

I sympathize with parents wanting the best for their children,  especially
since the information out there can be confusing.  I don't know  the answers,
but the following caught my attention a while back:

_Ohio Goes After  Charter Schools That Are Failing - New York Times_
(http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/08/us/08charter.html?hp)

Ohio became a test tube for the nation’s charter school movement during a
decade...when a wide-open authorization system and plenty of government seed
money led to the schools’ explosive proliferation.
But their record has been spotty. This year, the state’s school report card
gave more than half of Ohio’s 328 charter schools a D or an F.

_http://www.nypost.com/seven/11072007/news/regionalnews/charter_schools_going_
uncharted_872824.htm_
(http://www.nypost.com/seven/11072007/news/regionalnews/charter_schools_going_uncharted_872824.htm)

_Click  here: Charter Schools Lag, Study Finds - washingtonpost.com_
(http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/08/22/AR2006082201030.html)

_Click  here: "charter schools" - Google News_
(http://news.google.com/news?as_q=&svnum=10&as_scoring=r&ned=tus&rec=0&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=charter+scho
ols&as_oq=&as_eq=&as_drrb=q&as_qdr=&as_mind=9&as_minm=10&as_maxd=8&as_maxm=11&
as_nsrc=&as_nloc=&as_occt=any)

Seems that if firemer's research is right,   ("Research has shown that when
Black middle class parents pull  their
children out of the school system, it is doomed to failure." ), then we  have
a lose/lose situation.

products.