Asbury Park doesn't want it's musical heritage to continue beyond Bruce
Springsteen.
We're headed toward "smooth" everything when it comes to music.
This is despite the fact that The Saint, Asbury Lanes and The Stone Pony
continue to
provide a link to new, original and exciting music, but the city itself does
little to tout that.
We have an artist living right here in AP who's making waves all over the
world, Nicole
Atkins. You've heard her music in commercials, she's been on Letterman and
Conan. She's
right in the same genre as people like Amy Winehouse and other artists who fuse
retro/cinematic sound, yet she plays at the Stone Pony and only 40 people show
up. To
me, she should be an inspiration as to what one accomplishes if you dedicate
yourself to
it, which is exactly what she has done. She comes from Neptune, but her
performance
roots are right here in AP.
But, does AP tout her like Springsteen or Southside? Nope.
Does AP tout the incredibly unique and hip Asbury Lanes? Nope
Asbury Park is turning it's back on what once was it's greatest export, music.
But, maybe this is happening all across the country.
Maybe people outside of major cities don't support music the way they once did.
It's so
much easier to stay at home and experience the world thru the internet.

I'm pretty much done with ranting about what should've happened in AP. It's
pointless.
We a city that's changing. Some people will love it, and others, like myself
will be turned
off by where we are headed. There will probably come a time for me to start
looking for a
community to live in that embraces the ideals that make me excited.

--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "lindagriggsartist" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>