Great Post!
I agree about Nicole not sounding like Amy Winehouse. I just used that as a
point of
reference in that Nicole is much more sophisticated then pop music and she's
hard to
classify, much like Winehouse. Nicole doesn't come with the trainwreck problems
that'll
probably be the downfall of Winehouse's career.
I think the AP musicians of today do a pretty good job of promoting themselves,
especially
since the advent of Myspace etc.
The one thing that worries me though is that MM and the city in general seem to
be
steering any kind of music scene that we have away from mainstream/rock ect and
more
toward safer things like cover bands, smooth jazz and lounge stuff.