Jack,

I take your point and feel a twinge of that nostalgia as well, but
some things I DON'T miss AT ALL are printing up and posting a
gazillion flyers, taking out ads in the papers you mentioned, calling
people up and begging/harassing them to come to your gigs, and (worst
of all) sending out mailers via USPS. It was an effort that all too
often paid very slim dividends. One thing I am grateful about the
internet is that it did away with all that mess.

Also, not all was hunky dory with the scene as described. If you
didn't fit their particular format, you pretty much fell between the
cracks. I had the misfortune to being a little too bizarre for the
mainstream but too old-fashioned for the alternative crowd; "cult
artist" was something to be aspired to. The "scene" never quite knew
what to do with my music. Of course, it didn't help that I didn't go
to high school in the area, which is often the key to building a
band's fan base.

At any rate, thanks to everyone for your replies. For the record, I
was not referring to the Press, but rather the publication that has
positioned itself as the "anti-Press" since the Press left the
struggling city of its birth, if you take my meaning. It seems as if
they're ashamed and embarrassed about the whole music scene that
emanates from AP, despite all the lip service they give to supporting
all that's original and creative in the area.

~Heshy

--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "Jack Pitzer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'll take that one step further.
> I think our entire music scene went downhill after the demise of
106.3.
> That station really supported local music, and their DJ's also
worked in The Green Parrot and other local clubs.
> Many of us had the good fortune to do interviews with Matt on the
station, which was always fun.
> Alot of younger musicians will say that the internet and myspace in
general have saved the music biz, but I have another take on it.
> Back in the pre-internet/myspace days, 106.3, the Monmouth College
and Brookdale stations, and The Aquarian were the centers of our
local music universe. We weren't as distracted by being able to click
away. We were all reading the same papers, listening to the same
radio station. And it held the scene together, big time.
> Along comes the internet and we're faced with a myriad of
distractions, including the internet itself. Now, instead of hanging
out in person, talking in person, we do much of it online. We'd
actually call people on the telephone rather then emailing them or
texting them. The time that we now waste here on the internet was
spent hanging out with your friends in the real world.