> John, your hopes and observations are optimistic and I agree that
> change of direction is needed and desirable. But, The developers
> have no gears to switch.
>
> The point I have been making that seems to escape everyone in that
> the PLAN is the law. The PLAN dictates land use and unless it is
> changed it will run its course as I have described. (intensely
> residential)
>
> As much as MM or anyone else wants AP to be a destination, the
PLAN
> as currently structured does not support that goal very well. It
was
> not the goal in its creation.
>
> The PLAN is the guiding redevelopment document, it needs to be
> reexamined and modified to better support a destination based
> economy.
>
> Werner

Werner,

I agree....from a "big picture" perspective if the current plan is
not economically viable there must be changes made to the PLAN /
redevelopment document.

I for one would like a healthy mix of residential, retail and
entertaiment by the boardwalk....I fear that if the boardwalk
becomes almost exclusively a tourist destination it will not be as
enjoyable for those of us who live here or spend a bunch of time
here.  In my opinion a boardwalk and businesses that would end up
being way over crowded would be less desirable to take advatage of.

A balance of being able to support a thriving boardwalk and city
with and well thought out entertainment options / festivals / events
would be great.....I would take quality over quantity.

I like the fact that quite a bit of the retail has an interactive
element to it....I stopped by the Cuban Sandwich Container and they
mentioned to me that they are going to have Salsa lessons on the
boardwalk....how cool is that!  Hope this interactive retail thread
continues throughout the boardwalk.

All parties involved in the redevelopment must continue to adapt to
what is most benificial to all the citizens of of this community and
the visitors in order for this redevopment to be considered a
success.

I remain cautiously optimistic, as we are taking steps in the right
direction.  If fundamental changes are needed to keep the progress
going, I have faith that these changes can be worked out....then
again I haven't lived through all of the starts / stops and false
promises that many have here.  I believe Mario in one of his posts
mentioned this time it feels different.  Stay tuned!

John