It's just the "honest" way you put it; "It's just sitting there, being
ugly", that you HAVE to laugh, because in reality, the joke's on US!
There was such a BIG deal made to blow the thing down, only to have a
"newer" version of C-8, replacing the OLD C-8!  I really think the
place is haunted, or has a "curse" on it!