You know what?
I make no apologies about my opinions of AP.
I'm not going to be dishonest to myself or anybody about it.
I think what we have now is a pale version of what we could have, and once had.
I think were merely accepting something marginal, and I don't feel bad at all
in saying it.
Sorry.
Currently the boardwalk draws a fraction of what it once did. It's better then
it was in
recent years, but nothing like what it could be.
And as part of the local music scene, yes, we have one, but once again, since I
work in the
business I feel confident in saying that it also isn't what it could be, but
it's the best that it
can be at the moment.
Obviously you don't know much about Springsteen and his connection to the city.
His most famous album is callled "Greetings from Asbury Park" and the album
cover is a
classic post card from it's heyday.
He rose up in the scene playing at local clubs, most of which no longer exist.
His name is
inextricably associated with the city.
We all have different likes and dislikes, and there's nothing wrong with
expressing that.
You ask me what I like about AP? Plenty. I love my classic apartment and being
so close to
the beach for a reasonable price. I love the architecture of Convention Hall
and the
acoustics of The Paramount. I love The Saint, where I work. I absolutely love
Cookman
Avenue because it still has a classic look with character.
But, i greatly dislike the way the boardwalk pavilions have been renovated. It
says nothing
at all to me. I don't like the architecture at all. I see a strip mall, but
that's just me. I
greatly dislike the fact that the band shell has been eliminated and that
nobody is taking
MM to task about it. I think high end retail is a waste of space destined for
failure.,
On the other hand, I love that there's a bike store there, because bicycling by
the sea
really appeals to me. It's a big fixture in Atlantic City, Cape May, and scores
of similar
places across the country.
My discontent has nothing to do with the vibe in the country, in fact, AP is a
safe haven
away from it because it's my home.
Finally, with all due respect, you've never met me. I'm probably the most
immature 47 year
old person I know. Smarter, but still very similar to the teenage me. I'm more
about
aesthetics then money, more about The Adriatic then Applebees.
I've also spent a huge amount of time living and working overseas, where they
tend to
value history more then we do, and preserve things rather then rebuild, and
when they do
rebuild they tend to stay faithful to what went before.
Here in America, it's the opposite for much of the country. We don't build
buildings to last
anymore, we build them to knock down and replace because of money. And I think
that's
a great loss.