I don't think the problem is about driving cars around. If people have an
emergency, vehicles can't get through. Others NEED to get to work (either
because they are are nurses/doctors or bc they are simply supporting their
family and don't have the most understanding of employers). Moreover, it is all
well and good to walk around and be peaceful about it, but I don't keep a ton
of food in my house and I am not walking down the middle of the street with a
17 month old on my back. Luckily, I took this week off from work anyway because
if not, there is no way my employer in NYC would be understanding about me
taking 3 or 4 days for a snow storm. People in North Jersey where my mother
lives have been driving since Monday afternoon and she claims they also got a
lot of snow. It is about planning and execution as Werner said. The Stone Pony
cancelled shows through Thursday? That is four days for a storm. In my mind,
that is unacceptable. And just because it isn't as bad as what the miners went
through- I mean how could you even compare to something like that?- Doesn't
mean we don't have a right to have our town execute a cohesive plan to clean
our streets after a snow storm.