On Thursday, May 19, 2005, at 06:41 AM, Tim Bray wrote:
We suggest that there may be WG consensus in favor of changing the format spec to make atom:id a required child of atom:feed. (Text not provided, we trust the editors to figure out the correct way to say this). Please indicate agreement or disagreement with this proposition in the next day or two.

Since I've already expressed my opinions on this issue, I'll be brief just to register my opinion in this thread. I don't think atom:id is the most useful possible identifier, so this isn't my first choice. But if we can't agree to use a better one, it'll be better than nothing.