Re: Corona Virus: is it the beginning of the end?

Accman, I have a ton of sympathy for someone in your position, at least where it comes to frustration regarding your chosen career. Thank you for disclosing that, by the way; it helps me understand, in part, why you feel the way you do.

What I want to tell you, though, is that I don't think your career as a musician is lost. You're not old, correct? Not, like, in your seventies with tons of chronic health conditions. This means you've likely got decades left of your life. Even if we're still months from some semblance of normalcy, and even if it means this year has been pretty much shot for you, it doesn't mean that this will be the case forever. By this time next year, or even five months from now, it may be entirely possible for you to be gigging, performing or recording again. I feel like maybe you're jumping the gun a little bit by saying that your career is over forever when, in fact, it's just stopped.

As such, while I understand your frustration, and the feeling that you don't want to be held back from the things you enjoy doing, I'd ask you to please not misrepresent caution as fear. To be sure, some people are afraid, and some people have deliberately tried to play off of that fear. In my view, that's an awful thing to do. But to say that we need to be more careful during this pandemic would, I think, be perfectly reasonable. If you agree that people who drive drunk should be charged even if they don't hurt people, then you should understand that wearing a mask, particularly in close physical situations, should be dealt with the same way. It's a needless increase of risk toward those around us. If you just nip out to get the mail, walk your dog or cut your grass, and you're not dealing with crowds, then no, by all means don't wear a mask if you don't want to. But if you want to go to that ice cream shop, at least do the employees the courtesy of trying to keep everyone safe. Sure, it's annoying. Grumble about it all you like. But if you truly care about people, and you're truly sorry that people get sick and die, and you truly want to see an end to this, then please, for god's sake do your own part to help it happen. This isn't fear. It's not guilt. It's common sense.