Skunk wrote:
pfarrell Wrote:
Humans are highly sensitive to
location for high frequencies, mostly due to the
shading caused by the head/distance between ears.

I'm sorry Pat, but that makes absolutely no physiological sense. What
is 'shading', I should ask. Humans are highly sensitive to localized
sounds in all frequencies, even Very Low Frequencies (<100Hz).

Since when are frequencies around 80 to 100 hz "very low"?
Those are exactly the frequencies of the low strings
on a normal, acoustic guitar, and the frequencies of
a human bass voice.

The standard tuning note in music is "A 440" meaning the A
on the western musical scale that is at 440 hz. It is
the A that is above 'middle C' on a piano.
Middle C is at about 262 Hz.
http://www.musicmasterworks.com/WhereMathMeetsMusic.html
No one would call 'middle C' a low frequency. Yet an
octave below it, is another C at about 131 hz. This is
where the heart of western music melody lives, from about 100 hz to
500 hz or so.

The human head is a big water ball. It blocks frequencies.
Not all frequencies, and the specific frequencies depend
on the person, or the head.

For high frequencies, if the sound source is
off on one side, that ear hears the sound directly. The other
ear does not hear it directly because the head blocks it.
It does hear reflected sounds.

At low frequencies. the waves pass right through the head.

google; head-related transfer function
Look at the work done on biaural recording techinques
using a dummy head.
http://sound.media.mit.edu/KEMAR.html
http://www.answers.com/topic/head-related-transfer-function
And general localization research
http://umsis.miami.edu/~tdallman/acoustics/hrtf/

A more factual description of the 'head/distance between the ears'
theory, would be that binaural neurons in the midbrain

I don't do inner brain stuff. I do a lot of recording.
It is more physics than neurology. Acoustics is physics.

Humans (or at least 99% of humans) can't place
the source of that tone [41Hz] within 90 degrees.

Verification? Concertgoers would tend to disagree, again, according to the paper.

So you have at best dualing theories.

pfarrell Wrote:
and had eight or so
15+ inch drivers, The sound came up thru a furnace grate.

That would be a mono subwoofer, and I won't speculate on the sound of a
HVAC HiFi..

Yes, it was mono, as most people agree all sub woofer frequencies are.

It is not a HVAC system, the grate is cheap and strong
designed for people to walk over.

Take a 40 Hz signal, which has about 20 foot wave lengths.
Assume it is totally on one side of a person/stage/etc.
What is the phase angle between the signals heard
and processed at the right and left ears?

There is no point in arguing belief. If you want to believe that
two sources is important for frequency reproduction of sounds
below 40 Hz, I see no point in further discussion.

--
         -- toc
[EMAIL PROTECTED]