Well, yes and no.  There is no fundamental difference in terms of 1's
and 0's.  However, there is an enormous and fundamental difference in
terms of storage and usability.   It's a shame that Redbook never moved
beyond twenty year+ old technology and that we have the same data format
now as 'back then.'  However (and this is because my background is in
editing, UI design, and the like), sometimes usability is nearly on
par, or on par, with data content.  The fact is that this new
technology use is more flexible, it saves our butts (no more
scratched/destroyed CDs -- at least for those of us with young children
and pets), and it is extremely convenient.  We're saying more or less
the same thing...I just tend to view "fundamental" globally.
Semantics.

Now, if they would make a SB that could stream DVD video data from
one's hard drive and throw it into the same package...

--
highdudgeon