mauidan Wrote:
> I simply asked ezkcdude to qualify his statement:
>
> "I'm guessing that even using just the stock SB3 analog outputs gets
> you at least 95% of the way towards the "best" transport/DAC combo out
> there."
>
> I was interested in what experience he had with the "best"
> transport/DAC combo out there," to arrived at his guess.
>
> Please tell me how I could have ask this in "a professional and
> dignified way" to get the detailed response I was looking for?

Mauidan, you caught me! I have never listened listened to a $6000 CD
player in my system. I haven't even listened to $1000 players or DAC's.
That's what you wanted to hear me say, right? I'm not sure why that
makes YOU feel better, but I certainly couldn't care any less.

I completely stand by my original statement, which was obviously meant
to be SUBJECTIVE, and I think it's safe to say most of the other
posters here knew what I was getting at. Seriously, if there were any
problem with my statement, it was actually trying to put a real number
(95%) on my estimate. I don't know what 95% even "means" in terms of
audio quality. As I've said before, it obviously has nothing to do with
measurements, or none of us would be discussing it here. ALL these
criteria that you and every other audiophile use to describe music are
SUBJECTIVE. Repeat it with me, maudian, SUBJECTIVE.

My "guess" was just an assertion that even the best DAC out there most
likely doesn't make a whole heck of a lot of difference, at least, in
most real-world systems. Sure, you put together a $100,000, and maybe
there are noticeable differences. But, is that really the goal here?
Noticeable? The
ifisquintmyeyesandleanoverthismuchandtwistmyleftearicandefinitelyhearaslightpeakinthemidbassregion
audiophiles drive me nuts! And that's all I'm gonna say to you
maudidan. Take a chill pill, and learn to just enjoy the music!

--
ezkcdude

SB3->Derek Shek TDA1543/CS8412 NOS DAC->MIT Terminator 2
interconnects->Endler Audio 24-step Attenuators (RCA-direct)->Parasound
Halo A23 125W/ch amplifier->Speltz anti-cables->DIY 2-ways + Dayton
Titanic 10" subwoofer

He's not hi-fi, he's my stereo.