JJZolx Wrote:
> And what's the new technology that enabled this revolution?
>
> There is none.  Instead, it's an economic one... inexpensive storage
> space has been the real reason that this is a feasible alternative
> today.

Could be I'm missing something, but I don't think this is accurate.

It appears to me that a variety of technologies, old and new, are
converging to offer the alternative of computer-storage-based music.

Software like EAC and AccurateRip help to ensure the quality of the
copy process.

Network storage devices and USB hard drives make the increasingly
cheaper megabytes more useful in a centralized storage model, allowing
us to access a central music store from multiple devices more easily -
and economically - than before.

Wireless networks help to de-couple storage from players, and control
software becomes mobile.

It would also seem that the SB itself is an example of the type of new
technology driving this evolution. While the technology of the
individual parts may not be new, the way in which they've been
integrated certainly is.

--
joncourage