PhilNYC Wrote:
> For any of you in the NY/NJ area, I would be more than happy to have a
> group of you visit me in Northern NJ for a listening/comparison
> session.  I have a pretty high-end system and a pretty well-treated
> acoustic listening environment.  Would be happy to do an A/B/C
> comparison between my SB2 (unmodded, with Elpac linear power supply)
> against my reference transports (Oracle CD1000, modified Sony S7700)
> and my reference DACs (Dodson DA-218, Blue Circle BC501ob).  To my
> ears, there is no question that the reference gear outperforms the SB2.
> I agree with John Atkinson that for casual listening, my SB2 as a
> transport sounds more than good enough...but for dedicated listening, I
> find my reference gear to be preferrable by a significant margin.  Is it
> 95%?  I think that is up to the individual listener...

That's a bit dissapointing to hear.

What kinds of things would account for the SB sounding inferior to a
high-end transport/player even when a substantial part of the
electronics of the signal processing would seem to be going on in the
DAC?  I mean, is the output quality of the SB dramatically inferior (by
that I mean inferior enough that a marked difference is noted) to the
signal output by a transport/player, and what would account for that?
Is it over-comable (eg through mods)?

I'd been hoping that somehow good interconnects and an outboard DAC
would be the "great equalizer". Not to mention, whatever benefits acrue
from using a TCP/IP network to deliver the bits. (and I'm equally sure
that my understanding is probably very naive...)

So much theory goes back and forth, it's hard to separate the wheat
from the chaf. But when someone with high-end equipment and the benefit
of real A/B experience makes a clear, emphatic statement of comparison,
it strikes me as worth taking note.

--
joncourage