For any of you in the NY/NJ area, I would be more than happy to have a
group of you visit me in Northern NJ for a listening/comparison
session.  I have a pretty high-end system and a pretty well-treated
acoustic listening environment.  Would be happy to do an A/B/C
comparison between my SB2 (unmodded, with Elpac linear power supply)
against my reference transports (Oracle CD1000, modified Sony S7700)
and my reference DACs (Dodson DA-218, Blue Circle BC501ob).  To my
ears, there is no question that the reference gear outperforms the SB2.
I agree with John Atkinson that for casual listening, my SB2 as a
transport sounds more than good enough...but for dedicated listening, I
find my reference gear to be preferrable by a significant margin.  Is it
95%?  I think that is up to the individual listener...

--
PhilNYC

Sonic Spirits Inc.
http://www.sonicspirits.com